> people who think carapacians are mindless, hyperactive children
It constantly infuriates me how many people do not read the comic. We see WV, PM, AR, WQ, Snowman, Slick, Droog, Boxcars and Deuce all speak in perfect coherent sentences through the terminals. We know they’ve written books and poems, and that they have hopes, dreams and feelings. We know that they’re able to preform really impressive mathematical calculations when temporizing things, are able to mobilize and go to war with one another in a highly organized manner, and they have a functioning bureaucracy, complete with a legal branch and a postal branch. And when they’re exiled to a strange planet, their first impulse seems to be to find others like them and to begin building cities.
But that’s right, because they had some goofy panels, they’re clearly less evolved and childlike and stupid, and all they do is honk horns and wave their arms around. Because after all, all the kids and trolls do is spit out things and beat their head with their arms and make DURRRR faces right?
I want to believe that this is because they don’t have chat logs or because they have sillycute designs, because that would restore my faith in people by thinking that they just don’t have something they can easily relate to, but let’s face it. A pair of sentient, manipulative sunglasses is taken a thousand times more seriously than even PM or Jack, who are arguably the two you can’t NOT take seriously at this point. I don’t even know what to blame anymore, except maybe that Hussie hasn’t spent enough time on having them navelgaze about their frankly AMAZINGLY TERRIBLE woes.
Actually, fun fact: every time they have come up in the comic lately, contextualized by kids and trolls, I can’t help but cringe, because they’re still barely treated as people by the cast. The overall narrative is a different story, but I swear to crap you can only make the “THIS IS AN NPC” trope stretch so far once you have characters actually living with them for years at a time.
Can I casually just gently prod this back onto my blog?
Because it kind of really bothers me how poorly these characters are treated by the cast/general fandom. In my attempts to formulate a well written response I’ve been met only with incoherent drivel. Maybe later today I can successfully herd my thoughts into a greener, more rational pasture, one that yields delicious crop instead of horrible, not-thought-out-well butt fruit.
Why hasn’t this post been reblogged into triple figures yet? It’s a really freaking good post and needs to be reblogged some more. Look, watchers, it’s Babar! If you won’t reblog it to spread the really good Carapace rant further, REBLOG IT BECAUSE I PUT BABAR IN IT.
Hootlord, I’ve actually considered most of the reasons you posted as reasons why the Carapaces are ignored by the fandom at large. That and “they’re much harder to ship because of all the above reasons”. As for Auto-R, I’m pretty sure that he gets more respect as a character because he’s basically considered just a really quirky version of Dirk.
Also, the thing about the kids and trolls all mostly treating carapaces as barely even people is why I’m pretty sure Roxy is my favorite kid. She comes the closest to treating them as living people.
Reblogging for both Babar and GOOD POST ABOUT CARAPACIANS.
- tintenstern reblogged this from xaylu
- xaylu reblogged this from fondlyregardcrustacean
- crownofclowns likes this
- fondlyregardcrustacean reblogged this from ozisafan and added:
- ozisafan reblogged this from ozfiztheweird
- itsonlysummerinthesongs likes this
- hatoful-boxcars likes this
- complexitea reblogged this from itadakimassamachusetts and added:
- lemonbubble reblogged this from stupidharpy
- lemonbubble likes this
- wonderlandshouseoftricks reblogged this from teacandy
- itadakimassamachusetts likes this
- wonsab likes this
- belfrygargoyles reblogged this from stupidharpy
- irrelevantequinox likes this
- emberkeelty reblogged this from hootlord
- missingrache likes this
- billybaruchcobra likes this
- paradoxy-intent reblogged this from stupidharpy
- apocalypseasleep likes this
- karcakes likes this
- sleepyhugs reblogged this from kyuubeymon
- sleepyhugs likes this
- ranyakumo reblogged this from kyuubeymon
- ranyakumo likes this
- gusto-choochoo reblogged this from stupidharpy and added:
- kyuubeymon reblogged this from stupidharpy
- kyuubeymon likes this
- potsandpanssexual reblogged this from cautionlazer
- emberkeelty likes this
- sullensniper reblogged this from stupidharpy
- mistytpednaem likes this
- stupidharpy reblogged this from gluethegrue
- nocakeno reblogged this from gluethegrue and added:
- nocakeno likes this
- gluethegrue likes this
- d-eutschbag reblogged this from gluethegrue
- d-eutschbag likes this
- pikokai likes this
- cautionlazer reblogged this from gluethegrue
- old-fexiled likes this
- stupidharpy likes this
- nullrays reblogged this from teacandy
- greentorsos likes this
- gessorly likes this
- route-113 reblogged this from maybeitsavirus
- teacandy reblogged this from bubstepremix and added:
- matchbook-stories likes this
- disgustiphage likes this
- spadessleuth reblogged this from greentorsos